“Learning to run playfully” is the motto here!
Excursion destinations & sights in the Salzkammergut
A very special region is waiting for you!
During your holiday on Lake Wolfgang a great range of excursion destinations and sights is waiting for you. Nature meets culture in one of the Alps’ most traditional holiday resort. Look forward to a diverse holiday at White Horse Inn!
Nature and culture build the perfect symbiosis in the Salzkammergut - and therefore perfect circumstances for an unforgettable holiday. Mountains and lakes, ice caves, ravines and charming valleys can be found within only a view kilometres or even metres. Around your holiday domicile, the famous traditional hotel White Horse Inn on Lake Wolfgang, you can visit various excursion destinations and sights.
Excursion destinations and sights in the Salzkammergut
Experience the Salzkammergut and you will understand why Austria’s most famous emperor used to always spend his holidays here:
- City of Salzburg (UNESCO World Cultural Heritage) with Hohensalzburg Castle, Hellbrunn Palace, the zoo, the old town and a great variety of shops
- Bad Ischl: former summer residence of the emperor, with Kaiservilla (emperor’s mansion), Kurpark and Esplanade - as well as a visit at Zauner, the world famous cake shop!
- Salt mining places: Hallstatt (UNESCO World Cultural Heritage) on Lake Hallstatt with a salt mine, ossuary and museum; Hallein with a salt mine, Celtic village and Celtic museum; Altaussee with a salt mine
- Ice caves: on Dachstein and in Werfen (Europe’s biggest ice caves)
- Open air museum in Großgmain: historic farmsteads and various cultural (custom) events. Horse-drawn sleigh rides through the open air museum available in winter.
- Lake Wolfgang shipping, boat trips
- Up Zwölferhorn in St. Gilgen by cable car, alpine hikes
- Ausseerland: hike from Altaussee up the Loser, hike around the lake, custom and culture events. A visit to the Salzkammergut’s Styrian part is always worth the trip!
- Gmunden and Traunsee: visit Orth Palace and the famous Fischerkanzel pulpit in Traunkirchen
As you can see, one holiday in the Salzkammergut will not be enough to discover all excursion destinations and sights. You will definitely want to return: to the Salzkammergut and to your White Horse Inn on Lake Wolfgang