Hallstatt: UNESCO World Heritage Site in Austria
Picturesque Hallstatt, nestled between mountains and lakes
An entire historical period was named after the town of Hallstatt in the Salzkammergut. The Hallstatt period denotes a time of extraordinary cultural advancements that occured roughly 1,200 years ago. Take the truly unmissable opportunity to delve into history while staying at the Romantik Hotel Im Weissen Rössl on Lake Wolfgang.
A picturesque area steeped in history
Nestled between the towering mountains lies the small town of Hallstatt on the shore of Lake Hallstatt. The houses are densely packed in, with some built on pillars coming out of the lake. Hallstatt could only be reached by boat until well into the 19th century. Evidence of salt production in Hallstatt can be traced back to 7,000 years ago. Staff at the Hotel Im Weissen Rössl on Lake Wolfgang are happy to provide tips on visiting the salt mine, which is the oldest in the world and a great experience come rain or shine.
An unrivalled view over the UNESCO World Heritage Site
Arguably the best way to see the village with its 900 inhabitants is from the lake. A boat trip is a great way to make wonderful memories and take photos to record your visit. The unique magic of Hallstatt was officially recognized when it was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996.
Things to see in Hallstatt on Lake Hallstatt.
- _PLACEHOLDER_A_;X9000;A UNESCO World Heritage Site boasting numerous historical buildings and churches
- Salt Mine: suitable for children aged 4 and over in all weathers
- Hallstatt Museum: exhibits finds from various periods of history, from the Stone Age to the present day day
- ;X0000;_PLACEHOLDER_A_;X9000;The Glacier Garden in Hallstatt's Echerntal: a remnant of the most recent ice age
- ;X0000;_PLACEHOLDER_A_;X9000;Boat tours on Hallstätter See, with different routes and trip lengths available depending on your preference
- ;X0000;_PLACEHOLDER_A_Hallstatt Bone House: home to over 600 artistically painted skulls on display. There's hardly another collection like it in the world
Holiday at the Hotel Im Weissen Rössl on Lake Wolfgang – day trip to Hallstatt
The UNESCO World Heritage Site of Hallstatt is just 45 minutes from St. Wolfgang by car. Discover all there is to see and impressive natural monuments in the Salzkammergut during your stay at the Hotel Im Weissen Rössl!