The majestic Lake Wolfgang in the Salzkammergut
A year-round holiday paradise with blissful mountain views
A lake for everyone
Your dream holiday: the Romantik Hotel Im Weissen Rössl lies right beside Lake Wolfgang, a gem of a lake in the Salzkammergut region of Upper Austria. It promises a wonderful and utterly relaxing stay all year round. Experience Austria at its finest.
A blissful break by the lake at any time of year
Enjoy an unforgettable holiday on Lake Wolfgang at any time of the year, with balmy weather and crystal-clear water in summer or the serenity of the lovely Advent traditions. And then there's the glorious panorama of the Salzkammergut mountains, including the Schafberg, and the abundant leisure activities. Lake Wolfgang truly is the ultimate destination for an unforgettable holiday in Austria.
One of Austria's most exquisite lakes: Lake Wolfgang
Lake Wolfgang is rightly feted as one of the most beautiful lakes in Austria. It shines like a jewel amid stunning hills and mountains, in the lovely and varied landscape of the Salzkammergut.
In summer you can enjoy the cool lake water with swimming, bathing or diving. In winter, a wonderful calm falls over the area around the lake. Add to that the backdrop of snowy mountains, and there's no place finer. When conditions are right, you can even ice skate across the frozen Lake Wolfgang. A winter holiday in the Salzkammergut makes for a magical experience.
Lake Wolfgang: the location for the "Im weissen Rössl" films
It's no wonder that Lake Wolfgang has become a go-to filming location; indeed, the Hotel Im Weissen Rössl already has three films under its belt. The most famous of them is the 1960s hit "Im Weissen Rössl", starring Peter Alexander.
Check out the webcam of the Romantik Hotel Im Weissen Rössl for a first glimpse of this iconic idyll on Lake Wolfgang. Its setting in Austria's Salzkammergut is simply a dream come true.
Lake Wolfgang in Salzkammergut: area, depth, water temperature
With an area of 13.5 square kilometres and a depth of up to 114 metres, Lake Wolfgang is one of Austria's largest lakes, and it's one of its best known, too. In summer, its waters can reach a temperature of up to 26 degrees Celsius – ideal for leisurely bathing or swimming. Start your morning with a dip in the lake: simply dive in from the "Rössl Bridge". Afterwards, enjoy a delicious breakfast at the Hotel Im Weissen Rössl.
In winter Lake Wolfgang is transformed into an icy cold, bright blue expanse, its surface is covered in a layer of ice. Some winters, the ice is so thick that you can walk across from the Hotel Im Weissen Rössl in St. Wolfgang to the western end of the lake. Don your ice skates for a thrilling winter experience.
Hotel's own boat rental service & day trips with Wolfgangsee Schifffahrt
Make the most of the practical boat rental service at the Hotel Im Weissen Rössl on Lake Wolfgang and glide through the glittering waters of the lake in an electric boat or pedal boat. Or discover wonderful Salzkammergut sights using the boats run by Wolfgangsee Schifffahrt
These popular day-trip boats ply routes daily between all of the holiday spots on Lake Wolfgang. Combine a journey on a Wolfgangsee Schifffahrt boat with a hike, cycling trip or walk in this natural paradise. This is the fastest way of reaching the main holiday spots on Lake Wolfgang: St. Wolfgang, St. Gilgen and Strobl.
St. Wolfgang, St. Gilgen, Strobl: stunning holiday destinations on Lake Wolfgang
Landscapes don't come any more spectacular than the Salzkammergut, with its majestic mountains, fairytale lakes and tumbling streams and rivers. From the holiday resorts on Lake Wolfgang – St. Wolfgang, St. Gilgen and Strobl – you can explore the beauties of Salzkammergut's unique mountain and lake landscape.
Whether you're enjoying an active break on your own, a romantic getaway for two or a family holiday with your children in summer or winter, you're bound to enjoy your stay to the full at the Romantik Hotel Im Weissen Rössl! There's so much to experience: hiking, running, cycling, boat tours or exciting trips to Austria's salt mines or to the nearby city of Salzburg and its sights. Start looking forward to an amazing holiday in Austria!
Holidays in St. Gilgen, Strobl & St. Wolfgang: the perfect active break
- Hiking: Explore numerous hiking routes and get to know the landscape around Lake Wolfgang and the mountains of the Salzkammergut.
- Running and Nordic walking: The abundant running trails and Nordic Walking routes keep you in tip-top shape during your holiday at Lake Wolfgang.
- Golfing: Several golf courses near Lake Wolfgang offer probably the most attractive greens in Austria.
- Cycling and mountain biking: Pleasure cyclists, road cyclists and mountain bikers get their money's worth in St. Wolfgang, Strobl and St. Gilgen.
- Watersports and boat trips around St. Wolfgang: Create wonderful memories on or in the wonderfully cool waters of Lake Wolfgang. Swimming in the crystal-clear lake makes for an extraordinary experience.
- Bathe in the clear water of the lake, at pleasant temperatures (26°C)
- Lake Wolfgang winter adventures: Skiing and cross-country skiing
- A magical setting in the run-up to Christmas
Holidays in the Salzkammergut: pure nature and culture
An abundance of day trips around the turquoise-blue Lake Wolfgang make your holiday even better.
- City of Salzburg: Discover the historic old town of Salzburg, with its museums, the mighty Hohensalzburg Fortress and much more.
- Journey into the Salzburg salt mines in Hallein, Hallstatt and Altaussee, and discover the fascinating story of this "white gold".
- Stand-out natural attractions in the Salzkammergut: a visit to the Dachstein Ice Cave in Hallstatt is a must.
- Culture and customs in the Salzkammergut: enjoy a cultural holiday in St. Wolfgang, with concerts, exhibitions and traditional festivals galore.
Your route to the turquoise-blue Lake Wolfgang
If you're coming from the city of Salzburg, you'll reach Lake Wolfgang by travelling over a small pass. The excitement really begins when you glimpse the picturesque town of St. Gilgen, nestled on the shore of the lake. Continuing towards St. Wolfgang, you skirt the shortline of Lake Wolfgang, travelling through the towns of Abersee and Strobl.
By the time you reach St. Wolfgang, you've almost circled Lake Wolfgang. Falkenstein mountain cannot be traversed by car, but you should definitely explore it on foot during your holiday at Lake Wolfgang.
The Hotel Im Weissen Rössl in St. Wolfgang
The Hotel Im Weissen Rössl in St. Wolfgang, Austria, enjoys legendary status thanks to the famous operetta set here. But Rössl hostess Gudrun Peter isn't one for resting on the laurels of the past. She has made this hotel right by Lake Wolfgang the perfect holiday destination in the Salzkammergut.
With a modern yet traditional interior, a wellness complex with pools on and in Lake Wolfgang, and top-flight cuisine, the renowned Romantik Hotel Im Weissen Rössl makes the ideal base. And for those who prefer a bit more independence during their getaway, our holiday apartments offer just the thing.